In this article, we are going to be answering certain questions like What is the meaning of Nysc CDS? There are lots of questions that needed answers concerning the meaning of “NYSC CDS”.
CDS simply means Community Development Service. Community Development Service (CDS) is one of the four (4) Cardinal Programmes of Nysc. It’s in CDS activities that corps members contribute positively to the development of their host communities throughout the period of national service.
Just as the 3 other arms; Orientation course, Place of Primary Assignment (PPA) and Passing out Parade (POP) are important, Community development service play a major role in actualizing the purpose why Nysc scheme was established in the very first place; which is facilitating unity among the citizens of Nigeria.
CDS allows corp members to relate better with their host communities and also bring about cultural and socioeconomic growth in such areas by the reason of their activities during Community Development Services.
Nysc Community Development Service is majorly divided into 2 categories __The Group Cds and the Personal/individual cds.
The Group Cds
The first one is compulsory for all corpers while the second one is optional. Corps members are expected to use one day in a week for group CDS activities. They are not expected to attend duties in their places of Primary assignment on CD days. Such days are dedicated to the execution of projects and programs that will improve the living conditions of their host communities. However, such days varies with different state across the federation.
Only interested corp members embark on personal CDS projects. Personal cds projects are projects/programmes executed by individual corps members in their host communities based on Community-felt needs.
It could be construction projects like building of toilets, incinerators, bridges, classrooms, games facilities for schools e.t.c or social/educational project such as establishment of ICT laboratory, school libraries, extra-mural classes, campaigns, charity work, vocational training for empowerment of unemployed youths etc.
Various CDS Groups In NYSC Scheme and Functions
CORPS LEGAL AID GROUP (CLAG)
- Provide free legal services to the less privileged and indigent prison inmates (Victims of denials and violation of rights)
- Sensitized the public on fundamentalhuman rights
- Visit to prison
- Legal service to inmate and indigenes of host community
- Public lecture and awareness on fundamental human rights
SPORTS CDS Group
- Creates avenue for recreation and healthy rivalry among corps members and the community.
- Arousing the consciousness of living healthy and purposeful lifestyles through participation in one form of physical activity or the other.
- Identify talents among Corps members
- Participation in Sports competitions
- Identifying and Training members of the Community
- Organizing Sports Competitions
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION & SANITATION Group (NEMA/NESREA vanguard)
- To promote and sustain healthy environment
- To create awareness on sustainable environment, management and regeneration
- Tree planting
- Drainage Control
- Erosion Control
- Land Scaping
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT GROUP (Mass Literacy, Adult Education, Extra Murals ICT)
- Enhance the Education Standard of the host community.
- Career guidance and counseling for students
- Campaign against Illiteracy
- Organizing Extra-mural classes for Adults
- Organizing of in-school programs
CULTURAL & TOURISM CDS Group (Band, Dance, Drama & Tourism)
- Promoting arts and Culture
- Dissemination of vital socio-economic and political problems and prospects
- Identifying talents
- Setting up of the schemes theatre groups
ROAD SAFETY CLUB (RSC) CDS Group
- To contribute to public safety on our roads
- Sensitization and control of traffic
- Rendering first aid to accident victims
- Establishment of road safety clubs in school.
EDITORIAL/PUBLICITY CDS Group
- Compliment the activities of the NYSC PRO in disseminating Information to the Community
- Making presentation on mass media to enlighten people on socio-cultural education
DISASTER MANAGEMENT Group (NEMA)
- To create awareness on disaster management
- To disseminate information on how to manage disasters through Corps Emergency Vanguards
- Public enlightenment on disaster management and control through the emergency Vanguards
- Liaison with NEMA on how to assist during emergencies
- Formation of emergency vanguard club in schools
MEDICAL & HEALTH SERVICES CDS Group (Red Cross, Breast Without Spot, Polio Plus etc.)
- Promotion and provision of Medical Services
- Health outreach
- First Aid administration
- Establishment of Community based clinic
- Setting up of clinic for the NYSC Secretariat
SERVICE DELIVERY CDS Group ( Attitudinal Change, Re- Branding)
- Sensitization on Service delivery and good work ethics.
- Group discussions on value re-orientation
DRUG FREE & QUALITY CONTROL CDS Group (NDLEA, NAFDAC, SON)
- Eradication of fake and adulterated foods and drugs
- Create awareness on danger of drug abuse
- Campaign and Sensitization
- Establishment of drug free clubs in Schools
- Ensuring linkages with the host Communities
CHARITY SERVICES & GENDER Group
- To improve the living standard of the down trodden
- Charity outreaches to the public
- Mobilize funds and other resources for less privileged
- Visits of orphanages & prisons
- Donation of materials to homes
MILLENIUM DEVELOPMENT GOALS (MDGs) CDS GROUP
- To create awareness and actualize the 8 goals of MDGs
- Advocacy and Mentoring of the host community
Agro-Allied CDS Group
- Support agro allied activities in host communities
- To promote better food production and security
- Demonstration farms/Extension Services
- Establishment of Farmers Cooperative Societies
- Teaching of new farming techniques to communities
ANTI-CORRUPTION CDS GROUP (EFCC & ICPC)
- To help in eradicating corruption through Campaign
- Creation of awareness in schools and organizations
- Establish Anti Corruption Corps members in schools
REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH & HIV/AIDS GROUP
- To train and mentor Students
- To mobilize and strengthen community based responses on HIV/AIDS prevention
- Sensitization and Campaign
However, some of these groups might not be found in some states, reason being that two to three cds group could be merged together if their function is interchangeable. For example, Disaster Management CDS Group (NEMA vanguard) is related to Environmental Protection and Sanitation CDS Group (NESREA vanguard). Thus in some state like Ebonyi state, these two groups as well as other environmental allies are merged together to form a mega environmental CDS group.